WHAT IS COMMIT TO KIDS?
Commit to Kids is a program to help organizations create safe environments for children. It provides policies, strategies, and a step-by-step plan for reducing the risk of child sexual abuse, encouraging organizations to take an active, participatory role in protecting children in their care.
Many prevention programs focus on education for children, but fail to address the specific risks that child-serving organizations face. Adults are responsible for protecting the children in their care. Commit to Kids teaches organizations how to define appropriate boundaries between adults and children and create safe, respectful environments.
The Canadian Centre for Child Protection created this program for all organizations that work with children. We know child-serving organizations are vulnerable to having children in their care being sexually abused by individuals who target the organization. They are also vulnerable to attracting those who become attached to a child they work with, break boundaries and engage in sexual offending behaviour. Commit to Kids is adaptable to organizations of any size and is easy to use. The program includes a DVD with sample policies, plans, and reproducible forms that can easily be amended and used by organizations.
- Prevent child sexual abuse through increased awareness and education
- Evaluate risks that exist
- Teach employees/volunteers (who will then teach children) the difference between appropriate and inappropriate behaviour
- Provide employees/volunteers with specific strategies on how to prevent abuse
- Design programs that focus on child safety and supervision
- Establish clear boundaries between employees/volunteers and children
- Ensure that allegations of sexual abuse are handled in a sensitive, timely and effective manner
- Understand their legal obligations to report child sexual abuse to a child welfare and/or law enforcement agency
- Ensure the highest standard of practice when working with children